SQL Server 2016 is the biggest leap forward in Microsoft data platform history with real-time operational analytics, rich visualizations on mobile devices, built-in advanced analytics, new advanced security technology, and new hybrid cloud scenarios. There are no material changes to the SQL Server licensing and pricing available in SPLA today. However, partners need to know (1) SQL Server Business Intelligence has been removed from the product lineup, and (2) Microsoft removed the core factor table from the SPUR. The per core license model remains in place along with the 4 core minimum requirement.
No Changes to pricing and licensing models
- SQL Standard – SAL & Per Core
- SQL Enterprise & Web editions – Per Core only
Failover Servers updated to include cloud deployments
- Software Assurance still required for passive server benefit.
- When using License Mobility for cloud deployment, passive server benefit granted in the same environment as the active.
No Core Factor table
- All infrastructure will be treated equally (AMD, dual core procs, single core procs etc.)