Why a Citrix NetScaler Blog Series?
My name is Darren and I am the Citrix and Mobile Workspace specialist at rhipe. I speak to our partners every day and I often get asked to explain which NetScaler appliance is most suitable for their solutions.
The answer can be quite complex and of course it ultimately boils down to the requirements. At the same time, I believe it is still very important to understand the basics so that you have the knowledge required to maximise your investment, provide your customers with an optimal service and to help identify future opportunities to use NetScaler strategically and efficiently.
This Blog Series
This blog series will provide high-level information about Citrix NetScaler' features and capabilities along with suggestions on how they could fit within your new and/ or existing services and subsequently provide significant benefit to your business and more importantly, to your customers. There are two key areas to cover - NetScaler appliance models and their features, and of course the licensing.
I'll start by briefly highlighting why licensing is important. If you are using XenApp or XenDesktop Premium licenses your customers are entitled to use some of the premium NetScaler features that would otherwise require additional user licenses. A future blog dedicated to NetScaler Licensing will detail all of this information, however if you need clarification don't hesitate to contact me.
The NetScaler product overview information from Citrix is: https://www.citrix.com/products/netscaler-adc/
When using Citrix CSP consumption based licensing you can change your licenses from one day to the next, so choosing the right NetScaler now has no bearing on your decision to change going forward, even tomorrow. This flexibility is one of the many benefits of consumption based licensing within the Citrix CSP Program.
To finish off Part 1 of this blog series I want to cover off some of the terminology used on the Citrix CSP Price List as this information is key to differentiating between the features and capability of the platform and I’ll be using it throughout this series.
- VPX is Citrix terminology for a virtual networking appliance that operates on a hypervisor platform
- ADC stands for Application Delivery Controller. The NetScaler ADC is is sometimes referred to as NetScaler VPX, which is how I will continue to refer to it in this series
- Access Gateway is a subset of features that are present in ALL NetScaler models - the NetScaler VPX has the full ADC features in addition to Access Gateway
For now, you only need to remember that there's NetScaler Gateway Enterprise VPX and NetScaler VPX - which I have covered in Part 2.
Citrix NetScaler Blog Series:
- Part 1 : Introduction
- Part 2 : NetScaler Editions
- Part 3 : NetScaler Features
- Part 4 : NetScaler Editions & Features
- Part 5 : ICA Proxy & SmartAccess
- Part 6 : ShareFile & XenMobile Connectors
- Part 7 : Layer 4-7 Load Balancing
- Part 8 : Global Server Load Balancing (GSLB)
- Part 9 : Single Sign-On
- Part 10 : Content Switching
- Part 11 : NetScaler Insight (User Experience Monitoring)
By Darren Bennett, Partner Enablement Specialist (Citrix), rhipe